Friday, July 26, 2013

How do you "clothe" yourself?

Yesterday in my Bible study, we were discussing the Proverbs 31 woman. I've never really liked this woman, maybe because she intimidates me. She really seems to have it all together, and to be honest some-days, I don't. (if you haven't read about this woman, visit Proverbs 31 to read about her). But then as I was watching the video that corresponds to the study, Karen Ehman described this woman in a 21st century viewpoint. First of all, this woman had servants. Taking care of the house and kids would be a lot easier with a nanny and maid, then I could focus on my writing career. Yet, the part that really stood out to me was how she dressed herself. She wasn't shopping at Nordstrom or Saks, but she did desire the best for herself. "She is clothed in fine linen and purple." (v.22) and "She is clothed with strength and dignity." (v.25). Fine linen and purple were garments worn by royalty of the time and strength and dignity are character traits. These verses got me to start thinking about the present time, and how as women when we pursue our goals to look good, others might view it as narcissistic.

 Do people ever ask why you go to the gym so much? or why do you get up so early to run? It can be hard to explain to others your passion about health and fitness, but I kind of believe that regular exercise and a healthy diet could be a way you "clothe" yourself. Being a mom is a tough job, and whether you stay home or work outside the home, you are constantly being pulled in multiple directions. Taking time for yourself, staying healthy and exercising regularly is the modern day version of feeling like royalty (and there's nothing narcissistic about it). Because when you take care of yourself on the outside, you are building character on the inside. When I eat healthy and exercise, I feel better about myself. I am confident and strong. Participating in a 5k race teaches me perseverance, and when I add more weight to the barbell and push myself to the next level, I become stronger.

Ladies, it's time to take time for yourself! Push away your self doubt, because you can do it. Sign up for that Zumba class at the gym and don't be afraid to shake it; sign up for that race and train daily, start that new diet and feel better inside and out, or just get your nails done and relax. Just do something for you!

3 Comments:

At July 27, 2013 at 10:38 AM , Blogger Teresa said...

This is Inspiring. I'd like to place this on my wall as motivation - - "staying healthy and exercising regularly is the modern day version of feeling like royalty"
LOVE IT!!!

 
At July 28, 2013 at 11:22 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for commenting, Teresa. Great idea, I need to hang up this quote to keep myself motivated.
Rachel

 
At February 25, 2014 at 11:11 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I am in a very busy season of life. I am homeschooling 4 out of 5 of our boys right now. I am struggling to find time for myself right now. Don't get me wrong, I love it, yet my body is not loving it. By the time I am wrapping up with my younger three boys! my high schooler needs my help. Then it's dinner, bed, and begin again.
I am trying to do Lazy girl fitness at home (lunging through the hallways, swats at the microwave, calf raises at the sink, etc) but it's not enough.
I am inspired to look at my day with new eyes now. I miss my 2-5 mile walks. I need to reclaim them!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home