Thursday, November 7, 2013

Somewhere between Fit and Frazzled

I had a plan on Monday. Preschool drop-off, gym, eye brow wax appointment and then maybe some clothes shopping before picking up from preschool. Thankfully, I made it to the gym for about 30 minutes and got a quick leg workout in before heading over to the tire shop to get my tire patched from yet another nail. Needless to say, the rest of the morning was spent in the waiting room keeping Liam away from destroying the plants, sipping coffee and trying to stay positive.

There was no need to let a flat tire ruin my week, because as far as I knew the week was only going to get better. Tuesday, I had planned to get beautified aka a cut and color date with my good friend and hairstylist and then Wednesday the hubs and I were having a hot date at the Bon Jovi concert. So you see, it was all good.

Tuesday, I arrived bright and early at my friend's house for my hair appointment. I wanted to look especially good for my night out on Wednesday. I was thinking more layers, subtle highlights and low lights. I ring the doorbell. I hear a dog barking, then nothing. No footsteps. Just silence. I notice Holly's car is not in the driveway. Maybe she had a quick errand to run. So I called her, no answer. So I checked my messages, maybe something came up. She's a mom too, so these things can happen. I'm scrolling through my messages, and then I see it. My appointment is for next week. Ugh! How did I do this? Mom brain fail! That's the only way to explain it. This week was beating me down. I weighed my options. I could go to the gym or find a new outfit for the concert. I wasn't dressed for the gym, so I decided on retail therapy.


I wasn't sure what to wear to the Bon Jovi concert, so I contacted my friend Cary, the original Stay at Home Rock Star and concert enthusiast as to what to wear. Cary suggested skinny jeans, boots and a cute top. I have boots, but needed to find skinny jeans and this gave me an excuse to buy a cute top.  I headed over to TJ Maxx. I found a good selection of skinny jeans and tops in the junior section. Don't let the term junior distract you. I find that the junior section has more boutique like styles in the size I need. This is one of my favorite parts of keeping fit-- all the cute clothes I find and look great on me. It's really motivational when you go into a dressing room with a few items and come out wanting to keep them all. I'll be thinking on this moment when that orange jack-o-lantern pail tempts me again.

I walked out of TJ Maxx in good spirits with some time to kill, so I headed over to European Wax Center. This place is awesome. It's clean like a doctor's office not like some shady back room in a nail salon plus they have a special wax that is less painful. I didn't get my hair done, but I didn't look like Bert anymore. I couldn't believe it had only been 5 weeks since my last appointment.

Anyway, the day was looking up. I could clean, grocery shop and go to Bible study tomorrow then get ready for Bon Jovi!!

I didn't see it coming. Wednesday morning was smooth sailing then I go to pick-up Aiden from his playdate. He is warm, pale and extremely tired. He even fell asleep playing play-doh. I take him home. I'm praying that maybe he is just over tired. We get home, and I take his temperature. It's 100.1 degrees Fahrenheit. Not good. He falls asleep on the couch. I'm trying to keep Liam entertained. I give Aiden some Motrin. I'm starting to get a little frazzled. I'm folding laundry, watching the clock, turn the oven on to start making dinner. I check Aiden's temperature again. It's the same. I wait another hour, check his temperature again. The same. Ok, time for some Tylenol.

I call Seth, he's in his car rocking to Bon Jovi. "I've seen a million faces, and I've rocked them all," he sings to me. Well, umm. Aiden's sick, I tell him. I'm on my way he tells me sounding all serious. Seth gets home and accesses the situation. Takes Aiden's temperature. Still the same. He grabs a cold washcloth and puts it on his head, takes off Aiden's shirt. More waiting. His temperature starts to drop. Things are looking up, but then Aiden clutches his stomach. Super dad runs for a bucket, just in time for Aiden to vomit right into it. We look at each other. A knowing look passes between us. We need to stay home; we've been hit by the stomach bug. Yet, Seth's look turns compassionate for his sick son and maybe he can see the frazzled look in my eyes. He urges me to go to the concert. Call a friend, he tells me.

I ponder it for a moment, help with Liam, what if the vomiting continues. You should go, he says again. Ok, I say quietly. I'm happy to go, but disappointed it's not the hot date I envisioned. I call my friend, help her find a sitter (my sitter was available), and off we go!



Yes, I am so glad I bit the bullet and went to the concert. I had an excellent time with my friend, saw an incredible concert and heard all the rock songs I love. The light show was amazing, and did I mention Jon Bon Jovi is HOT! I kept updating Seth with videos and pictures throughout the night.



Things didn't work out as I planned, but it worked out in the end. Aiden stayed home from school today and must likely tomorrow too. I won't be able to get my other gym days in, but if this week has taught me anything it's that being a mom can be crazy and being a fit mom can be tough. I have lots of excuses to give up and give in to the orange jack-o-lantern, but it's a journey. It's about making healthy food choices, jumping rope in the garage, doing an exercise video or just relaxing a few days. I admit, I can get a little OCD about my gym schedule, but it's ok to take some down time and mix things up a bit.



Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home