Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Zero-Tolerance


Bully. It's a term that gets used a lot lately, a buzzword so to speak. We usually hear it being used when describing young kids at school making fun, hitting, or making threats to others. Now-a-days it's serious business when a kid is labeled a bully. When I was a kid being bullied just meant you had to be tough and stick-up for yourself. 

I was bullied in grade school. I was the new kid more than once, a little different, and I befriended those who were less popular. Teachers turned a blind-eye to the incidents on the bus, playground or cafeteria. So I learned I needed to be tough. I was taught if someone pushes you down, then get up and push back harder.

I thought the days of bulling were over when I became an adult, but sometimes bullies don't grow-up. I witnessed this the other day at the gym. Two guys lifting heavy weights in the corner and between reps would stop, point and snicker. This infuriated me. There are people of all body-types, shapes, sizes and levels at the gym. Who cares if you can bench press over 300 pounds. If you can't show respect to others than you are a cowardly wimp. I know guys experience this locker room sort of bullying more often, yet girls feel a similar pain-- comparison.

Girl bully's are called mean girls. Kinda like the movie. You have the popular pretty girls on one side and the less thans on the other. It's not much different as an adult. Beauty and dress size still reign in our minds. Did you know that purposely leaving someone out is apart of being a bully?

Bullies are relevant in the adult world. Even more so as a parent. How we behave as adults reflects how we teach our children about bullies. Stick up for yourself? Of course. Stick up for others? You bet. Push back? Informing a teacher or adult is probably the best option for kids. What about if you're an adult?  I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. How should these bullies at the gym be handled?

I want to hear from you. Leave a comment below.

2 Comments:

At October 16, 2013 at 5:37 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I would have called them out on it. Part of our culture perletuates this behavior because we no longer expect people to be decent. Even if saying something to the bullies doesn't change their behavior their victim would know someone cared enough to stand up for what is right.

 
At October 17, 2013 at 4:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, Heidi for your comment. Next time I witness bullying, I will confront the perpetrator. I go to a nice gym with nice people, and I will not let a bully ruin gym time for anyone else.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home