Thursday, September 19, 2013

Remember, Have Fun!

I don't know when it happens, but it does. You start running more than one race a year, you are all about your time and distance and personal records that you forget about why you started running in the first place. Don't get me wrong all those things are great and important, but if it overcomes you then you need a fun run. Running is a challenge for me, and participating in races motivates me in the day-in and day-out of exercise. I love competition almost too much. When I signed up for the Electric Run with a group of friends, I was all about breaking my personal record.

I ran the Electric Run last Friday. It was held at the State Fairgrounds in Raleigh at 8 o'clock at night.  I ran with a friend. A good friend who might I add is 6 months pregnant. We ended up walking a lot with a little bit of jogging. I didn't break any personal records or win any medals, but I did have a lot of fun! The race was crazy. Runners were dressed up in brightly colored clothes, glow-in-the-dark bracelets, necklaces, hair pieces, socks. I even saw a guy with a stuffed bear on his head. Some groups were tailgating in the parking lot. A multiple array of age groups, women with light-up butterfly wings and of course the die-hard runners stretching and turning their Garmin's on. This time, I was swaying with the loud dance music and adjusting my pink glow-in-the-dark hair extension.

They sent us out in waves. We were in the 3rd wave and began with a light jog. We ran through light-up tunnels, through a building and literally in circles. There were photo-op stations along the course plus a forest of hanging umbrellas and colorful bubbles. It was like being in Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory. The forest opened into a large field, and we were running on gravel then up a hill, then back around the colorful hoops. I have to admit I was glad we walked; it was dark and the course was uneven. While my friend and I journeyed through the elaborate 5k maze, we talked, laughed and people watched. Some people went all out with their costumes.



It took us a little less than an hour to finish the race, but it didn't matter. We had fun. We got some exercise and that's what mattered. So, if you feel like running or any exercise for that matter is becoming more of a chore than fun. Switch it up and make it fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home