Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Role Models

Like it or not Mamas, we are role models. I'm not just talking about watching your tongue when you stub your toe or having a positive attitude on those bad days (these are important too). However, I'm talking about making a conscious effort to choose fruit over fries and exercising over vegging on the couch. My oldest son is in preschool, and they are already talking about trying a new veggie each week and playing outside more. You might think it's too early to start worrying about childhood obesity, but apparently it has tripled for children in the past three decades, and more than one in ten of the world's adult population is obese. My preschooler already loves playing Angry Birds and watching TV, and of course McDonald's is first on his list for places to eat. So how can we change the choices our children make and prevent an obese adulthood? We need to provide our children with healthier options and most importantly practice these choices ourselves. Out to eat? Order grilled chicken, substitute a salad instead of fries and order water.(Yes, they are watching!) Last year, my husband and I cut out soda from our diet. Our kids don't see it at home, so they know it's not on the menu. What about when your child wants to play another video game or watch TV? Suggest an activity like catch or tennis, something you can do together. On the days I don't go to the gym, I exercise at home. My boys love "helping" me with my exercises. Teach your children health and fitness is not a fad or something you try for a week; it's a lifestyle that you live. Obesity is both reversible and preventable. So don't give-up before you start. Make a fresh start and begin living healthier today.

1 Comments:

At February 28, 2013 at 7:06 AM , Blogger ashleen said...

Thanks for the post. Great article. Being physically fit means that we are healthy and strong.texas' sporting goods store

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home