Tuesday, November 26, 2013

#Week4Thanks


It's the season for giving thanks and presents. The thanks part keeps us grounded when the presents seem too much. This year my boys packed a shoebox for Operation Christmas Child. A box for a little boy in another country who doesn't have what we have, I explained to my 5-year-old. As we were picking out things to put in the box, it reminded us of all the things we take for granted and are thankful for. We stuffed a toothbrush, toothpaste, wash cloth, soap, Hot Wheel cars, a stuffed animal, candy, a jump rope, a harmonica, a monster truck, bath toys, crayons and a coloring book in the small box.

I wanted to make the shoeboxes a learning lesson for the boys. I held up the box, and told them that this box would be the only the present some kids would get for Christmas and their birthday and any other special occasion all year-long. "Really, Mom?" they asked. They just couldn't imagine that this little box would be it for another little boy. I kind of understand why it's hard to imagine when my kids have a room devoted to them filled with toys--the playroom. They have 4 giant Rubbermaid containers filled with stuffed animals, trains, cars, blocks and games. I tried to think of another way of explaining how poor these children are. I told them how some children would use the plastic box to carry water to and from their shack. We are so blessed with running water in city limits (no well), central air and heat in our house, two vehicles and of course toys with the promise of Santa coming to town. I begin to realize how good we had it, that the tears began to stream down my face. The kids knew I was serious when I started crying, but I didn't want to them to think I was sad, just really thankful.

Thursday is Thanksgiving, but I want to share my thankfulness all week-long. There is so much to be thankful for that it is going to take more than 1-day to cover it all. I hope you will join me in sharing your thanks by tagging your Facebook posts and pictures and on Instagram too #Week4Thanks.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home