Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Third Time's A Charm



Pink balloons, lively music and tents on the lawn would seem like a carnival to an untrained eye, but this spectacular sprawl is apart of the annual Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure hosted at Meredith College in Raleigh. This was my third year running in the competitive 5k, and it never gets old. I train hard to break my personal record in this slightly hilly route, but what keeps me coming back is the people and their stories.



I arrived early Saturday morning to warm-up and drop-off our Team Vend Raleigh t-shirt for the team shirt contest. I was met by a race volunteer who directed me to the team t-shirts that were to be displayed on a clothes-line set-up between a few stately Oak trees. The volunteer inquired about our shirt, asking about Vend Raleigh and FitTriangleMom.com. I explained to her our partnership, me blogging about being a mom and maintaining a healthy lifestyle, and Cary Heise supporting other mompreneurs through Vend Raleigh. She was intrigued with our outreach towards moms, but she was most impressed with our t-shirt sponsors that helped us raise $210 that went directly to Susan G. Komen. Her face lit-up and her eyes sparkled as she gave me a high-five. "I'm a survivor," she said to me. "Awesome," I replied. It was then and there that I remembered why I run this race. I run for the survivors, the ones fighting and to remember others.



You don't have to listen to someone's story to know why someone is running or walking in the race. Many participants pin pink papers on their backs with either "in celebration" or "in memory" of tags. I saw one woman celebrating herself and her husband celebrating his wife; another in memorial to Mee-Maw.



Fellow teammate, Pamela Nogle of It Works! wanted to share her incredible experience. "Thousands... I mean thousands of people walked in support," said Nogle. I felt blessed to be part of the walk and humbled to know many were walking in honor of loved ones.. many were walking to support loved ones and many were survivors."




The race might be over, but the fight for a cure against breast cancer continues. You can still donate to our team and all the proceeds will fund Susan G. Komen. Visit Donate to Team Vend Raleigh.



A special thanks Green Pea Baby & Child, Inked Custom Apparel, Triangle Chiropractic & Rehabilitation, Hedoe Paper, It Works! Pamela Nogle, Mickey World Travel, Fitness 19 Cary, and North Raleigh Family Eye Center for sponsoring our t-shirts.



Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At June 22, 2014 at 7:07 PM , Blogger Andrea said...

Congrats on a successful run and fundraiser!!! Those t-shirts are really cute. :)

 
At July 2, 2014 at 8:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, Andrea. The Komen race is a fun race for a great cause. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home