Saturday, May 24, 2014

A Passion for Running; A Passion for Pink



If you would have told me ten years ago that I would run a 5k, I would tell you that I'm not a runner, but if you told me that I would run at least one 5k every year I would know you were crazy. I never had a passion for running before I had my boys. I went to the gym lifted some weights and got on the elliptical, but just don't ask me to run. I don't know exactly what happened. I think it might have something to do with giving birth naturally (2x), and then feeling like you can run a marathon.

I started small with the Running Mate program as I pushed my son in the jogger. Every day, a little bit, each time until I was running 3 miles. The program encouraged me to sign-up for a 5k to set a goal for myself. I chose the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 5k. 

It wasn't a random decision. I knew I wanted to run for something that had meaning. Like the young mom I knew who died of breast cancer, or my Aunt who battled breast cancer with chemo and surgeries, and my own scares of cysts and lumps. It was a disease that affected some many people in my life, and I wanted to make a difference. 

It gave training for the race a whole new meaning. When a steep hill would cause me to slow down, I would remember to keep running for those who couldn't. I would imagine myself running proud in my pink t-shirt inwardly cheering for those fighting for their life.

This year will be my 3rd time running in the Susan G. Komen race on June 14, and this time I have partnered with Cary Heise at Vend Raleigh. We are organizing a team of walkers, runners and sponsors within our community to help raise awareness for breast cancer and money for research.




Interested in being part of the team as a walker, runner or supporter? Click here to Join the Team


See you at the race!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At May 25, 2014 at 9:58 PM , Blogger Jessica said...

This is such an amazing organization. Congrats on participating for the last three years!

Thank you for sharing on #smallvictoriessundaylinky. Pinned to the Small Victories Sunday board. Hope you link up again next week!

 
At May 27, 2014 at 3:36 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, Jessica. I enjoy running and this race just makes it all worthwhile. Thanks for visiting my blog.

 
At May 30, 2014 at 9:36 AM , Blogger Tanya @ Moms Small Victories said...

Great job! Good luck with the race!

 
At May 30, 2014 at 2:54 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, Tanya. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home