Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Finding humor when you Lose your Smile

This is not how I envisioned my week to be. Last week was bad, really bad. It started with my oldest son getting the dreaded stomach bug. Thankfully, it went fast, and he was back to school on Tuesday. Then my best friend calls and tells me her father passed away ending his battle with cancer. Let me just insert here- HOW MUCH I HATE CANCER! Sorry for the yelling, but I really needed to let that out.

My husband, Seth gratefully took off Wednesday from work so he could stay at home with kids while I attended the funeral in Gastonia. It was a long drive, but it was worth it, so I could hug my dear friend and her mama. This family has certainly meant a lot to me over the years, and I was glad I was able to say my good-byes and offer some sort of sentiment to ease their pain.

I arrived home safely Wednesday evening thinking we could get back in our routine, then it hit again, the stomach bug that is. It's newest victims, my youngest and I. Liam and I cuddled on the couch, watched cartoons and kept the barf bucket within arms reach. The fog began to clear on Saturday, and I was hopeful that the sunny day equated to a sick-free birthday for me.

My wonderful husband once again planned a romantic evening for the two of us to celebrate my birthday. Dinner reservations made, sitter scheduled and the kids were excited. It was all starting to come together. However, when I was getting dressed for our night out my OCD-self wanted to confirm our reservations. Good thing I did. (it pays to be OCD sometimes). The restaurant had scheduled our reservation for the wrong night! In tears, I tried to get a table, something, it was my birthday! They were of course booked, except for the dreaded Chef's table. Not exactly what I had in mind for a romantic birthday dinner. Seth walked in the room and sees that I've been crying. "What's going on?" he asks. I explain the situation. He miraculous informs me that he never cancelled a reservation that he made earlier in the week. (we were debating where to go, so many delicious choices). I hugged him tight, and thanked him for rescuing me once again.



We made it to the restaurant, ordered drinks and our salads. Everything tasted delicious. It was time to relax; it had been a busy week. Our conversation was sweet and no one was interrupting. Our steaks were served and the drinks kept coming. Then the phone rang...It was the sitter. Liam vomited...a lot...he felt warm...we should come home. The server quickly boxed up our food, and we rushed home to our baby. Our romantic evening was beginning to unravel. We switched back into concerned parent's mode and drove home.

Paper towel covered vomit awaited us in the kitchen. Liam running around in only a diaper. "Mommy, I threw up," he runs to tell me. "I know, baby," as I hold him close. Seth took the sitter home as I shew away the dog, and begin cleaning up. Not exactly the birthday I envisioned, I thought to myself. Yet usually at my lowest point is when I begin to think of the positives. Dinner was fun while it lasted, and God is in control; I clung to these thoughts. Making sure my birthday ended on a high note.

The stomach bug lingered through the weekend and finally left us on Monday as we carefully served water-down apple juice, crackers and bread. Now as I look out my window, I feel like singing, "I can see clearly now the rain is gone." In our case, the ice is slowly melting on this frigid day, and school is closed again. I feel frustrated with the school closures, sickness and missing another gym day, but once again I must think of the positives. So, today my positive is humor. I can't keep feeling down about my string of unfortunate events so I'm sharing my humor with you. Hope it brings a smile to your face and melts the ice away!








6 Comments:

At March 5, 2014 at 9:36 PM , Blogger Tanya @ Moms Small Victories said...

Oh that is a terrible week! I hope as awful as last week was, this next week is full of sunshine, happy bellies and good memories.

Thanks for the laughs at the end and for linking up with my Small Victories Sunday linky. Pinning and sharing.

 
At March 6, 2014 at 2:01 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Everyone has bad weeks, so I hope other mamas can relate. This week is going better. Thanks.

 
At March 6, 2014 at 2:41 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

We went through the stomach bug a couple weeks ago too. I'm so sorry about your birthday....glad you at least go to gt out for a short time. Maybe a rain check date is in order!?! ;)
Stopping by from the Small Victories Sunday Linky :)

 
At March 6, 2014 at 3:37 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Carie,
Isn't the stomach bug the worst? Dinner was fun while it lasted. We'll make it up later this month for our anniversary.Thanks for stopping by,

 
At March 11, 2014 at 8:23 PM , Blogger Tanya @ Moms Small Victories said...

Thanks for linking up again Rachel. I appreciate your support for SmallVictoriesSunday and glad to see your week is going better this time!

 
At March 16, 2014 at 2:42 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, Tanya!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home